Low-glycemic foods are those that have only a minimal or moderate effect on blood sugar. Studies show that people who eat more of these foods and fewer high-glycemic foods are less likely to develop insulin resistance, a core problem underlying type 2 diabetes.
1. An apple with the skin
2. Whole wheat crackers with peanut butter
3. Baby carrots dipped in low-fat sour cream
4. A small handful of walnuts or almonds
5. Low-fat yogurt sprinkled with fresh fruit or bran cereal
6. A toasted whole wheat pita with bean dip
7. Soybeans with a little salt
8. Air-popped popcorn
9. Dried apricots (no more than 1/3 cup)
10. A hard-boiled egg
What are you snacking on these days?